Dec 4, 2012

CHANNA MASALA

DSCN1093

                  In my college days,when we go to restaurants, I would like to have Bhatura with Channa Masala. At that time I would think it cannot be prepared at home. My mom will not do this for chappati. She will make kurma or any other side dish only. After marriage I tried to do it at home after watching Cookery show. My first attempt of making it was like Channa in Onion,Tomato gravy. Then my second attempt was like Channa Kurma with coconut milk. One of my friend told me to use MTR Channa masala Powder. Finally by using it I got the actual taste.Then I understood the trick was in Channa masala powder.

INGREDIENTS

CHANNA
1 Cup
ONION
1 No
TOMATO
1 No
CHANNA MASALA POWDER
1 Tsp
RED CHILLY POWDER
1 Tsp
TURMERIC POWDER
¼ Tsp
SALT
To Taste
OIL
1 Tbsp

To Sauté & Grind

ONION
1 No
TOMATO
1 No
GREEN CHILLY
1 No
GINGER/GARLIC
1 Inch/1 No
FENNEL/SOAMBU
1 tsp
CINNAMON
1 Inch
CLOVES
1 No

STEP BY STEP PICTURES

DSCN1059
Soak channa overnight and pressure cook it for 2 whistles

DSCN1066
After the pressure is released,open it drain it.

DSCN1064
Now again put the channa in cooker & add salt.Pressure cook it for 1 or 2 whistles.The reason for cooking it again is to get soft channas.

DSCN1061
In a kadai saute the items given in the table.

DSCN1071
Allow it to cool & transfer it to a mixie jar.

DSCN1077
Grind it to smooth paste.

DSCN1075
In a kadai add oil,Then add onion followed by tomato.Fry till it is mushy. 

DSCN1080
Now pour the grounded mixture.Pour a splash of water.

DSCN1082
Add Salt,Red chilly powder,Turmeric powder,Channa masala
powder /garam masala powder.

DSCN1085
Allow it to boil.Keep in medium flame.

DSCN1086
Now add the boiled Channa. Keep 2 Tbsp of Channa which is to be smashed up and used for thickening it.

DSCN1088
When oil separates add the smashed channa.Granish with 
coriander leaves.

DSCN1091
Transfer it to the Bowl

DSCN1093
Top up with raw onions.You can add lemon juice(optional)

DSCN1092
Ready to taste it!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment